Sunday, December 26, 2010

Zombie Casualty - a trial sculpt

Ok, it seems nobody makes commercial civilian type "casualty" figures for zombie gaming (or for that matter any other modern/post 19C eras). There's two options I see, converting existing zombie figs, or making my own. So, as usual, I got a wild hair, and decided to try my hand at sculpting some dead - both human and undead - to add some "flavor" (no pun intended) to my zombie gaming scenery.

I have some experience with 15mm sculpting (many many years ago), but this is my first attempt at 28mm scale figures. I am a complete novice with total figure sculpting, so this is a real stretch.  The figure was done in Milliput, using some homemade sculpting tools. I didn't use an armature, which is something I won't repeat. Limb proportions are a little off, and I think the face looks too simian, but not too shabby for a first attempt.

The sculpt itself could be a) a person that was worked over by several zeds, and not yet reanimated, or b) a zed that took a head shot. I have painted up the base to show the first option, as there are obvious signs of  struggle, feasting, and multiple footprints.

My long term plan is to first make zombie figs that have received head shots, and are therefore "down" for good. Then some civilian/survivor figs that have been chomped by zombies and have yet to be reanimated. In game terms, I'd drop one of these down wherever a zed gets taken out.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

WIP - Copplestone Future Wars Zombies

Really like these guys, the zed in tightie-whities cracks me up. No time to get dressed, I guess...

WIP - Black Orc zombies

I have about 18 of the Black Orc zombies on the paint table. Here are pics of four that are close to being finished...

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

WIP - Crocodile Games Zombies

A few more modern zeds in the works - these from Crocodile Games. Pics here for four of the six figs they make.

Friday, November 26, 2010

More WIP zombies - Tengu

Some WIP Zeds from Tengu. A small range at the moment, but with great character and variety. I hope they produce some more zombies soon.


More WIP Zombies - Blue Moon

Time to get some more pics posted. Making good progress on a box set of twenty Blue Moon Manufacturing zombies. Still some details to tweak here and there.

 Really like the sculpting on these figs. Lots of variety, lots of nice details. A real pleasure to paint.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

"Hessian" Camouflage Tutorial - 8th Armored Division World War Two

This tutorial will demonstrate how I created and painted camouflage for my Desert Rats. Figures are 15mm Battlefront minis.

Milliput was used for the camo netting. I used a small jewelers screwdriver to create the net pattern.

Additional on-board storage, and sandbags were added.

First application of base coat. I try to use multiple thin coats, rather than one heavy.

Second thin wash of base coat, a little darker this time.

Here I have added some streaking to simulate stains from oils, mud, dirt, etc.

And here as well.

Here a much darker wash has been added. I use part water, part extender (propylene glycol) and part base coat, with a touch of dark green and brown thown in. Again, multiple thin coats is better than one heavy coat. Have to let this wash dry thoroughly, as the extender really retards the drying.
Some dry brushing for highlights, followed by multi-color camo net and stowage.

Another dark, thin wash. Then a gloss coat.

Almost done.

Decals, final highlights and matte coating.