Tuesday, November 23, 2010

"Hessian" Camouflage Tutorial - 8th Armored Division World War Two

This tutorial will demonstrate how I created and painted camouflage for my Desert Rats. Figures are 15mm Battlefront minis.

Milliput was used for the camo netting. I used a small jewelers screwdriver to create the net pattern.

Additional on-board storage, and sandbags were added.

First application of base coat. I try to use multiple thin coats, rather than one heavy.

Second thin wash of base coat, a little darker this time.

Here I have added some streaking to simulate stains from oils, mud, dirt, etc.

And here as well.

Here a much darker wash has been added. I use part water, part extender (propylene glycol) and part base coat, with a touch of dark green and brown thown in. Again, multiple thin coats is better than one heavy coat. Have to let this wash dry thoroughly, as the extender really retards the drying.
Some dry brushing for highlights, followed by multi-color camo net and stowage.

Another dark, thin wash. Then a gloss coat.

Almost done.

Decals, final highlights and matte coating.

No comments:

Post a Comment